YaBB Public License (YPL)
Below is the license YaBB has adopted for the software. It explains your extended rights and restrictions with the YaBB forum software. We basically ask that you leave the copyright intact and visible on the bottom of your forum at all times on all pages. If you wish to break the following license or remove the copyright, you may make an inquiry by visiting the following URL: http://www.yabbforum.com/licenses.php.
- Version 1.0, Adopted On April 17, 2001
- Version 2.0, Adopted On April 13, 2004
- Version 2.1, Adopted On September 7, 2005
- Version 2.2, Adopted On November 08, 2007
- Version 2.2.1, Adopted On March 05, 2008
- Version 2.2.2, Adopted On June 05, 2008
- Version 2.2.3, Adopted On July 12, 2008
- Version 2.3, Adopted On October 12, 2008
- Version 2.3.1, Adopted On January 04, 2009
- Version 2.4, Adopted On April 12, 2009
- Version 2.5 Anniversary Edition, Adopted On July 04, 2010
- Version 2.5.2, Adopted On September 30, 2012
You: This is you, if you are considering distributing, modifying or using this Package.
Program: This refers to the YaBB source files that comprise the Perl program and derivatives of that program.
Package: This refers to the collection of files distributed by YaBB and derivatives of that collection of files created through textual modification.
Standard Version: This refers to such a Package if it has not been modified or has been modified in accordance with the wishes of YaBB as specified below.
Distribution Fee: This is a fee you charge for providing a copy of this Package to another party.
Freely Available: This means that no fee is charged for the right to use the Package, though there may be fees involved in handling it. It also means that recipients of the Package may redistribute it under the same conditions they received it.
License: This is the document you are currently reading (YaBB's Public License).
Illegal Actions: Any action that is illegal in the country you reside in, the country websites using YaBB are hosted in, and the country a visitor to said websites reside in.
The licenses for most software are designed to take away your freedom to share and change it. By contrast, this License is intended to guarantee your freedom to share and change free software -- to make sure the software is free for all its users.
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our YaBB Public License is designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for a service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.
To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights. These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it. For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they too receive or can get the source code, and you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
We protect your rights with two steps: (1) copyright the software, and (2) offer you this license which gives you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the software.
Also, for each author's protection and ours, we want to make certain that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free software. If the software is modified by someone else and passed on, we want its recipients to know that what they have is not the original, so that any problems introduced by others will not reflect on the original authors' reputations.
Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software patents. We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free program will individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the program proprietary. To prevent this, we have made it clear that any patent must be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all.
Terms and Conditions for Use
You may download and use YaBB only if you agree to the following items:
1. You will keep this license intact with your YaBB Package.
2. You agree to this entire license.
3. You leave the YaBB copyright visible on your installed forum as they were placed in the original Package. This rule does not apply if you have purchased a separate license to remove the copyright or are redistributing the Package and have followed other rules in this license to remove it.
4. You do not use YaBB for any Illegal Actions nor allow those using your copy of YaBB to perform illegal actions on or with YaBB. This includes but is not limited to: using a YaBB forum to post slander against any other individual or group, using a YaBB forum to post "hacks and cracks" for software, or using a YaBB forum to plot a crime or terrorist act. YaBB is not intended or licensed for illegal uses. If you find suspect actions, please report them to the proper authorities or the web host of the offending website.
Terms and Conditions for Copying, Distribution, and Modification
0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed under the terms of this YaBB Public License.
Activities other than using, copying, distributing and modifying are not covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the Package (independent of having been made by running the Program). Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.
1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Package's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this YaBB Public License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Package a copy of this License along with the Package.
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee. If transferring a copy for a fee, some sort of modification to the original Program must have been made or a service must have been added to the Program other than the act of the transfer itself.
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Package or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Package, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
- a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
- b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Package or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
- c) If the modified Program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice.
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Package and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License and its terms do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Package, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or collective works based on the Package.
In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Package with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of this License.
3. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Package except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Package is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.
4. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute the Package or its derivative works. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Package (or any work based on the Package), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the Package or works based on it.
5. Each time you redistribute the Package (or any work based on the Package), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Package subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
6. If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation of patent infringement or for any other reason (not limited to patent issues), conditions are imposed on you (whether by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not distribute the Package at all. For example, if a patent license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the Package by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from distribution of the Package.
If any portion of this section is held invalid or unenforceable under any particular circumstance, the balance of the section is intended to apply, and the section as a whole is intended to apply in other circumstances.
It is not the purpose of this section to induce you to infringe any patents or other property right claims or to contest validity of any such claims; this section has the sole purpose of protecting the integrity of the free software distribution system, which is implemented by public license practices. Many people have made generous contributions to the wide range of software distributed through that system in reliance on consistent application of that system; it is up to the author/donor to decide if he or she is willing to distribute software through any other system and a licensee cannot impose that choice.
This section is intended to make thoroughly clear what is believed to be a consequence of the rest of this License.
7. If the distribution and/or use of the Package are restricted in certain countries either by patents or by copyrighted interfaces, the original copyright holder who places the Package under this License may add an explicit geographical distribution limitation excluding those countries, so that distribution is permitted only in or among countries not thus excluded. In such case, this License incorporates the limitation as if written in the body of this License.
8. YaBB may publish revised and/or new versions of the YaBB Public License from time to time. Such new versions will be similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in detail to address new problems or concerns.
Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the Package specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any later version," you have the option of following the terms and conditions either of that version or of any later version published by YaBB. If the Package does not specify a version number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by YaBB.
9. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Package into other free programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the author to ask for permission. For software which is copyrighted by YaBB, write to YaBB; we sometimes make exceptions for this. Our decision will be guided by the two goals of preserving the free status of all derivatives of our free software and of promoting the sharing and reuse of software generally.
10. Because the Package is licensed free of charge, there is no warranty for the Package, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Except when otherwise stated in writing, the copyright holders and/or other parties provide the Package "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Package is with you. Should the Package prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction.
11. In no event, unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, will any copyright holder, or any other party who may modify and/or redistribute the Package as permitted above, be liable to you for damages, including any general, special, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use or inability to use the Package (including but not limited to loss of data or data being rendered inaccurate or losses sustained by you or third parties or a failure of components of this Package to operate with other programs), even if such holder or other party has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs
If you develop a new program, and you want it to be of the greatest possible use to the public, the best way to achieve this is to make it free software which everyone can redistribute and change under these terms.
To do so, attach the following notices to the program. It is safest to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.
Provide one line to give the program's name and an idea of what it does.
Copyright (C) yyyy name of author
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the YaBB Public License (YPL) as published by the Free Software Foundation, modified by XIMinc and YaBB; either this version 2.5 AE of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the YaBB Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the YaBB Public License along with this program; if not, write to YaBB.
Also add information on how to contact you by electronic and paper mail.
This YaBB Public License does not permit incorporating your program into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine library, you may consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary applications with the library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Library General Public License instead of this License.
Summary of Your Rights with this Software
1. You MAY use this Package free of charge, and the Package, containing all source code, will be available to you at any time.
2. You may NOT sell this Package if nothing has been modified and it is being distributed by You in the same manner the original Package was distributed to You.
3. You MAY sell this Package if you have done the following:
- You have modified items or code in this Package and have properly commented what and when the modifications took place.
- If the Package has not been modified (or if it has), You are including a service such as installation with this Package.
- You have included a copy of this original YaBB Public License with your product and have applied the proper copyright notices.
- You have made available the source code and all other materials that were available when You received this Package to the public and have distributed this material to the original authors of this product.
4. You may NOT use the YaBB software for any illegal actions. Such use will void this license and deem your copy of YaBB illegal. YaBB can be held liable for such uses.